The Center for Wildlife Education offers the use of its facilities to the public (both during and after regular operating hours). The physical facilities (18 acres and two buildings) were built in 1997 and are of a very high quality. Two buildings are suitable for rental and can be grounded with birds on display. The facility ranks high on a national scale of Nature Centers, and is an outstanding example of environmental education and green space preservation within a university campus.
All uses of The Center for Wildlife Education must be requested by the party desiring use of the facility and formally confirmed by the Business Manager of The Center for Wildlife Education.
Included in the facilities are:
- Lecture Hall- The Lecture Hall is a spacious and bright room, remodeled in November 2006, and is conducive to meetings, speakers, discussion groups, etc. The lighting is very effective, and the acoustics are pleasing. Approximately 75 chairs are available, as well as 3 - 4 folding tables. Computer hook-up and projection screen are available in the Lecture Hall.
- Restrooms- Two large restrooms are located within the central building. Cleanliness is of supreme importance and is maintained very well in these facilities. Additional restroom facilities are available at the Campground located directly behind the Ecology Pavilion.
- Ecology Pavilion- In a more rustic setting, the Pavilion is located outside of the Center’s central building. This is a covered area that is pleasant for any type of social gathering. Approximately 15 picnic tables (seating eight people each) are available. If desired, these tables can be moved and others can be brought in. A small camp-fire is located just outside the Pavilion. This adds nice atmosphere for an evening event. Restroom facilities are available at the Campground located directly behind the Ecology Pavilion
- Boardwalk- A scenic boardwalk winds through the grounds of The Center for Wildlife Education. Native habitats of Georgia can be observed. Upon request, the birds can be placed out on display.
Additional Options Available:
Program options are available during the rental of the Wildlife Center facilities and include...
- Birds on Display: Native birds of Georgia will be displayed in their natural habitats along the nature walk. Lighting is available for evening events. The display is for a period of two hours.
- Wildlife Program: A wildlife program featuring birds, reptiles, and mammals will be presented. Experienced staff will fly several species of birds of prey, and explain the various adaptations that make this group of birds so intriguing. The program lasts approximately 45-minutes.
Facility Rental Guidelines:
- Reservations for facility rental must be made through Pam Harley, Business Manager, at The Center for Wildlife Education at 912-478-0831, or by email at email@example.com.
- In compliance with current University policy, all catering will be requested through the University Auxiliary Food Services Department.
Caterer: Georgia Southern University Catering Services
Phone: (912) 478-5073
- For alcohol-related events, an alcohol permit form must be completed and signed. University Catering will supply the necessary bartender services and the requestor will be required to pay an hourly bartending fee. An additional charge will be assessed for required security as indicated by Campus Security.
- A Georgia Southern University Wildlife Center employee must be present during all hours of the facility rental.
- If birds are on display, there is a limited time period of two hours.
- It is permissible for chairs and tables to be rearranged. However, they must be placed back into their original positions at the end of the event.
- It is permissible to decorate the facilities. However, at the end of the event all decorations must be removed.
- If additional equipment is required, it is the responsibility of the person making the reservation to supply this equipment.
- All functions must have a specified start and end time.
- No animals are allowed on the premises.
- All children must be accompanied by a supervising adult.
- Cancellations must be made 15 days prior to the reservation. All cancellations not made 15 days prior to an event may be subject to a $50 cancellation fee.
- Users are responsible for clean-up of the facilities upon completion.
- Users are expected to vacate the facilities within one half hour after the termination of an event.
- Per-hour rental fees apply to set-up and breakdown times.
Prices For Facility Rental:
For-Profit, Non-University related groups interested in renting facilities at the The Center for Wildlife, the fees are as follows:
Pavilion - $150 per hour
Lecture Hall - $150 per hour
Wetland Preserve - $150 per hour
Birds on Display (for 2 hours) - Additional fee of $300
Wildlife Program - Additional fee of $500
* NOTE: University Departments, Student Organizations, and Non-profit organizations receive a discount on facility rentals. Please call for discounted rental fees.
Reserving the Facilities:
If you are interested in reserving the Wildlife Center facilities for your next event please contact:
To make a reservation contact:
Pam Harley, Business Manager
Phone: (912) 478-0831
Fax: (912) 478-1779
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org